Beale Street Blues City Cafe neon sign
Beale Street Blues City Cafe neon sign. Beale Street has been playing the blues for more than half a century. Named after an unknown military hero in 1841, it acted as General Ulysses S. Grant's headquarters during the Civil War. But, Beale Street's heyday was in the 1920s, when the area took on a carnival atmosphere and gambling, drinking, prostitution, murder and voodoo thrived alongside the booming nightclubs, theaters, restaurants, stores, pawnshops and hot music.
|Keywords||America, Beale Street, blues city cafe, memphis, neon sign, tennessee|
|Credit||The Library of Congress, Carol M. Highsmith Archive/King Rose Archives / GIW Photos|
This photo license is intended for editorial use only. Single Use in context. For all advertising and other non-editorial uses contact the GIW office for further information.
License Type: Rights Managed