Visitors to the "Cadillac Ranch" along Old U.S. Route 66 outside Amarillo, Texas, are encouraged to bring a along a spray can to add a touch or two to the unusual public art installation. Thus the overall look remains the same over time, but the details change daily. The sculpture, a roadside attraction in the Texas Panhandle, was commissioned in 1974 by eccentric Texas businessman-turned-artist Stanley Marsh 3, who disdained the Roman numeral III as pretentious. Marsh, long known in his hometown of Amarillo as a prankster and philanthropist, died in 2014 Amarillo at age 76. The sculpture was executed by Chip Lord, Hudson Marquez and Doug Michels, who were a part of the art group Ant Farm. It consists of what were (when originally installed during 1974) either older running used or junk Cadillac automobiles, representing a number of evolutions of the car line (most notably the birth and death of the defining feature of mid-20th century Cadillacs; the tailfins) from 1949 to 1963, half-buried nose-first in the ground, at an angle corresponding to that of the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.
|Keywords||Cadillac Ranch, Carol Highsmith, public art, roadside attractions, sculpture|
|Credit||King Rose Archives / GIW Photos|
This photo license is intended for editorial use only. Single Use in context. For all advertising and other non-editorial uses contact the GIW office for further information.
License Type: Rights Managed