Greenwich Royal Hospital, Greenwich, Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site, Royal Naval College, Old Royal Naval College
The Greenwich Royal Hospital was established in 1694 by Royal Charter for the relief and support of seamen and their dependants and for the improvement of navigation. Sir Christopher Wren planned the site, described as one of the most sublime sights English architecture affords". In 1869 the Hospital was closed, and in 1873 the complex of buildings became the Royal Naval College, where officers from all over the world came to train in the naval sciences. In 1998 the Royal Navy left Greenwich and handed over responsibility for the site to the Greenwich Foundation. In the autumn of 1999 the University of Greenwich began teaching here, and were joined in October 2001 by Trinity College of Music. The Old Royal Naval College is the great baroque masterpiece of English architecture, set in landscaped grounds on the River Thames in the centre of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site. The UNESCO designation recognises the site as being of "outstanding universal value", as Greenwich comprises the finest and most dramatically sited architectural and landscape ensemble in the British Isles. Seen here from observatory hill September 1934 "
|Color||Black & White|
|Credit||Mirrorpix / GIW Photos|
This photo license is intended for editorial use only. Single Use in context. For all advertising and other non-editorial uses contact the GIW office for further information.
If located in the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Eire, kindly contact Mirrorpix directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
License Type: Rights Managed