St Ives, John Knill, Knill Ceremony, Knill Steeple, Knill
A crowd of people from nearby St Ives gather around the monument to John Knill former Mayor of St Ives. The monument constructed by Knill in 1782 from granite on Worvas Hill and is known locally as the Knill Steeple In 1797, Knill laid down instructions for the celebration of the Knill Ceremony, which was to take place every five years on 25 July (St James's Day). The ceremony itself involves the Mayor of St Ives, a customs officer, and a vicar; they should be accompanied by two widows and 10 girls who should be the daughters of fishermen, tinners, or seamen" from the town of St Ives. Our Picture Shows the Mayor and local dignitaries leading the two widows and 10 girls to the base of the monument.The Knills Festival. 25th July 1936"
|Color||Black & White|
|Keywords||Large Group of People,Customs,Traditions,Monument,1930s,Policeman,Mace,Top hat,Parade|
|Credit||Mirrorpix Mirrorpix / GIW Photos|
This photo license is intended for editorial use only. Single Use in context. For all advertising and other non-editorial uses contact the GIW office for further information.
License Type: Rights Managed