The Winship Building on Main Street in Napa, California
The Winship Building on Main Street in Napa, California, was designed by Luther Turton, a locally favored architect, and built in 1888. Its original Italianate tower was removed following the 1906 earthquake that most famously devastated San Francisco but also severely damaged several homes and businesses in Napa. A turreted tower reappeared in 1985 when the commercial building was significantly renovated and restored. A plaque inscription on the building reads: "When E.A. Winship arrived from Minneapolis in 1887, it became clear that he was a gentleman and that he had money to invest. In March 1888, he purchased this site for $15,000 and announced plans for a brick building. This building, designed by Luther M. Turton, is one of the most notable of its time. In quality of design and location in the heart of town, it recalls the excitement of the time and the promise that it held." The building's facade was of cast iron and glass, not brick, in the fashion of that time.
|Keywords||America, Carol Highsmith, Luther Turton, Napa, Winship|
|Credit||The Library of Congress, Carol M. Highsmith Archive/King Rose Archives / GIW Photos|
This photo license is intended for editorial use only. Single Use in context. For all advertising and other non-editorial uses contact the GIW office for further information.
License Type: Rights Managed